Friday, September 21, 2012

Have you ever heard of the brand Native Yard?

Have you ever heard of the brand Native Yard? Not yet, just wait! A small business sent me their profile and they wanted to do a new radio station and information service for Guguletu, one of the oldest townships in South Africa. I didn't like their business idea but OMG what a brand. In Guguletu all the streets are name Native Yard or NY, and this is what people know. Now there is a shift towards changing the NY system to "real" names. The reason for changing the name is a political issue rather than a business or marketing issue. But not necessarily a good business or marketing decision. What the people who are changing the names don't realise is how business and clever marleting works and how South Africa is a very brand oriented culture. Most of us still buy the old products our mom's bought because of brand loyalty and then south africans get very excited by new brands such as loxion culture. We love brands. So in South Africa what is really important for a new business is a great brand that resonates with all south africans and specifically the mass market. So let me come back to Native Yard and these new business entrepreneurs. I love the brand, i mean i really love it! It also becomes so much more desirable as the weenies want to get rid of the name altogether. This opens the door for someone like them to trademark the brand and add it to anything....coffee, restaurants, clothing, anything. What is important as a lesson is that sometimes creating an innovative business may be difficult but creating a unique brand may be easier and much more profitable as well as creating the profile and history all in one shot. Native Yard! Watch this space. if you think you have a great brand send it to me. I would love to see it.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know about Native Yard...Thanks for introducing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles,

    You might not remember me but the name is Masixole Ncusane, founder and owner of the Native Yards Brand. I remember when I sent the proposal, it was still at its foundation phases and I was seeking assistance from all avenues in marketing the concept. We were supposes to have met for a briefing meeting on who and what Native Yards Brand is...and why it needed the exposure but unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances, that did not come to light.

    Gradually a lot of changes had to be made in how we proposed the idea of Native Yards Brand and the reasons behind it. I appreciated the post above as it made a lot of people aware of our initiative. Subsequent to my sending you the concept proposal I have started a Facebook Page [www.facebook.com/NativeYardsBrand] as well as a twitter account [@NativeYardBrand] where I try by all means possible to involve the masses, specifically those who reside in the areas previously referred to as Native Yards. The purpose of involving the masses was so I can get feedback from the people in terms of what I should add on the follow up concept proposal so that it may have the "life" it lacked when I first drew it up.

    I thank you once again for making people aware of the initiative and yes they should look out for us as this time we're coming in with a bang.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. Thank you for a good webpage and I hope you preserve up the great function. If you do I will keep on to checked out it.

    ibc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Peter,

    Thank you very much for the positive feedback, we definitely will upload more posts on our blog. We're still in need of more support and for people to view our blog so that our message can reach those who are both in need of our services as an NPO initiative as well as to those who want to be a part of our initiative.

    Please do pass the word around... The more people are made aware of Native Yards Brand, the more support we will get.

    Thank you very much once again.

    ReplyDelete